This has been a tough winter. Even as someone born and raised in the area, towards the end of March I started to feel a bit resentful every time I put on my huge, puffy winter coat. I think we’re all grateful that spring has arrived, the tank tops are coming out, and we’re trading in the hearty stews for a fresher, lighter selection. Or maybe that last one is just me.
Nothing says warm weather like citrus. So in honor of the incoming season I’ve decided to share a side that is both springy and dorm friendly because it requires absolutely no cooking! It’s a raw fennel salad with orange and mint. And the preparation couldn’t be easier!
- Wash and slice the fennel and put it aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Take a few oranges and squeeze one over the fennel so it gets covered in juice.
- Slice the rest of the oranges, until you have as much as you want, and add it to the fennel.
- Chop up some mint, the amount is also up to you (I add quite a bit because I love the freshness mint adds), and add that to the bowl.
- Then throw in some olive oil, white wine vinegar or something similar, lemon juice if you’d like to, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix that all up and you’ve got yourself a delicious side for any meat. Its crunchy, tangy, and fresh, the spring trifecta.