Since we’ve covered lunch and dinner, I thought it would be only natural if we paid a little tribute to breakfast.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Hands down. There are so many delicious oatmeal and smoothie bowl recipes that I’m dying to share with you, but I realized that there’s one thing we need to do first. This staple is something we all know and love, and is best when piled on top of all of those other delicious recipes I just mentioned. I’m talking homemade granola.
A good granola recipe is something everyone should have, especially my gluten-free peeps out there. The best part? It’s easy, its fast, it lasts for weeks and the recipe is super flexible. This is an eye-ball-it kind of recipe, and as long as you’ve got the base ratio down, you can add however many mix-ins you desire.
Personally, I have a few granola recipes I like to make. However, the one we’re doing today its the easiest to do in a dorm kitchen. It’s protein-packed, and coconut oil-based. Really filling, healthy, and delicious.
Here’s what you need…
- 4 Hand-Fulls Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Protein Powder (I used vanilla flavored to make it a little sweeter)
Nuts & Seeds:
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/8 Cup Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Dried Dates
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Dried Cherries
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
1. PREHEAT… the oven or confectioner’s oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. CHOP… all your dried fruits and nuts as indicated in the list above.
3. MELT… coconut oil for 30 seconds in the microwave. Then mix all the base ingredients in a bowl until completely combined. All oats should be damp.
4. MIX… nuts and seeds into base mixture. Then spread the mixture on cookie sheet.
5. COOK… for 20 minutes on 325 degrees, stirring occasionally.
6. ADD… fruits to mixture once done cooking. This is important! If you add it before, the fruit gets really hard and dry. You could honestly chip a tooth.
7. If you like your granola sweet, drizzle a little honey, or maybe even some cinnamon on top. Let everything cool, OR eat it hot with some cool milk. Mmmm!
8. Finally, use this on top of everything! Or eat it dry by the hand-full. It’s a great, filling snack or meal whenever you want.