It may not feel like spring outside, but that doesn’t mean we can’t bake like its almost summer! Last time, we made delicious ice cream cup cakes, and now, I’ve decided to keep with the spring theme and make lemon poppyseed mini muffins. While you are more than welcome to add decorations, icing, or even lavender, I’ve decided to stick to the basics. When you’re done, pair this dessert with delicious mint lemonade and have a picnic in the park. Enjoy!
Butter: 1/2 cup
Sugar 2/3 cup
Flour: 1 1/3 cup
Baking Powder: 1 tsp
Baking Soda: 1/2 tsp
Poppy seeds: 2 tbsp
Lemons: 2 for zesting
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Buttermilk or Plain Yogurt: 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice: 2 tbs
Vanilla: 1 tsp
1. Preheat that oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together butter, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl
3. In another bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, poppy seeds, and lemon zest
4. Here is where the alternating comes in. Pour a third of the dry ingredients into the sugar and butter mixture. Then pour a third of the buttermilk into the same mixture alternating between the two and stirring with each addition.
5. In a third bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon poppy seed batter
8. Spoon the batter into a prepared muffin pan and cook for 20-25 minutes.