Before we are overcome with winter weather and hibernation in the library, I vow to make one last trip to Smorgasburg, where I plan on having one final ice cream cookie sandwich from The Good Batch. But until then, I have taken on the task of making original ice cream sandwiches myself. These desserts are a great farewell to summer while still having a fall/winter twist (depending on ice cream flavor). I chose to use both Dulce de Leche ice cream and Cherry Garcia Fro-Yo from Ben and Jerry’s, but you can use whatever you like best. A nice fall twist to this recipe may be snickerdoodle cookies with dark chocolate or pumpkin flavored ice cream! Try out a variety of combinations for this cookie ice cream treat and let us know what’s your favorite!
I have been using the following cookie recipe for years and it has never failed me, but if you need to make this a last-minute treat, you can try using Tate Cookies.
1. Making things easy, I first mix all of the wet ingredients in a bowl. This includes the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
2. Next add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient mixture. This would include the flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chip cookies and form them into balls which you will place on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Place this delicious cookies dough into an oven at 375°F for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
*If you want your cookies to be even better, a bakers trick is to put the cookie dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before baking.
5. Once the cookies are baked to perfection and cooled, smother one side with your choice of ice cream and top those bad boys with another cookie. If you can make a sandwich, you can make an ice cream sandwich.