Kale and White Bean Soup
I know everyone else is writing spring recipes, but I’m still wearing my north face and missing the smell of winter herbs in my kitchen. As a farewell to the chilly weather, I wanted to share with you my favorite winter recipe, a kale and white bean soup. For me this soup embodies cozy nights at home with my family and friends. The flavors, warm and subtle, also make it a good soup for spring’s wettest days. I hope you find as much joy and comfort in this little recipe as I do.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1 tsp pepper
½ pound frozen kale, thawed and squeezed dry
1 15oz can cannelloni beans, drained
1 cup of whole grain ditalini or other little pasta, al dente
1 tbsp herbs de Provence
4 cups of vegetable broth
Grated Parmesan for garnish
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, baby bellas, and pepper. Cook until the onion is golden brown and the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the kale, beans, herbs, and broth. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes add the cup al dente pasta.
- Turn off the heat, and enjoy with grated Parmesan and slice of crispy bread.
Written by: savannahkuper